Sunday, October 3, 2010

Witing, ideas. fights (with books, that is. )


Ug. I hate this time of year and I love it. It is time of year when I must come up with an idea that will carry me though November. Not that it will come out as planned. But It is nice to have an idea of what I am going to right. Some shape to fill. But finding an idea that will last a whole month is hard.
There are plenty of stories out there, don’t get me wrong. Come up with a story is easy. But find one that is good enough to write, that won’t peater out in a week or two. That is the hard part.
Well that and finding the title. But I managed to find a working title. But now to find a story that fits it. Backwards I know, but there you have it. Of course it is a working title. Such change as the story doses. (Reminds I need to get a better title on Echoes. The title is more for an end of world story than a reunion story. If that is the right word.) Still though the story idea is usually before the title.
I do have an idea that I have been toying with. But I just don’t know that it will work. For one thing only one characters has a name!  And that is the MC Elder brother, the oldest of the two that will play a role. And he doesn’t even come in for the first three, I think, chapters. His name is, of course, John. There is all ways a John running around for some reason.  Usually a Matt as well, but if there is a Matt here he has not spoke up yet.
Problem 2 it is anther sword welding female for the main. Ok So the last book she was not wielding a sword, just packing a lot of power. But still. It gets old. And on top of it it is a magic sword. And yes she is a mage and a princess. Those are things she dose her best to forget. But of course the story happens when she is forced to remember,.
And Like I said she has no name! That is a bit of a problem. Aside from the one charter only the Mec company she is with at the start has a name. The Dragons. The countries don’t have a name. Nothing.
I can tell you the bad guys don’t like to die. And were a simple on there necks. That might involve a serpent, or a vine. The only way to kill them is to remove their heads. Not an easy thing to do. Oh and MC, no name, thinks it a good idea to burn the bodies after wards. But who knows why.
 It is a mess!!!!!!!!!!!
But it is all I have. So some how I have got to get them to tell me some names.
Yes I know I am the write. But it will be better if they like the names. Believe me. They tend to revolt if they don’t like their names. Then they stop talking and the story dies. I know it sounds wrong. But it is the way it works.
As crazy as it sounds it is the chars that run the story. Not the writer. No matter what you think going in. It all goes out the window once the words hit the page. Oh the writer can guide it, and coral it a bit. But there are all ways things that you did not see until the hit the page.
This is a good thing. It means the story is alive. And it is alive stories that make good reading. Yes some of the things are unsay and will need to be cut. But others might be just the thing to fill in a plot hole. Or be better than you had planed. Let them come. Let the story go as it will.
The point to a first draft is to get the words down. Editing is for latter. If you get hung up on the editing as you write the story will die. Yes that are might need more detail, and that one less. But make a note and move on. Get the words down then fill in the gabs and remove the excess.  Do that and you will get someplace. It seems wrong, it sounds insane. But it works.
But above all what you must do is try. That’s all just try. Yes there will be a lot of false starts. A lot of dead ends and holes in the road. But If you want to wind you can’t stop. For once you have stopped it is next to imposable to start again.
Trust me.
And with that I end this.

good night and good dreams
Imaginary Reader. 

No comments: